I am totally in LOVE with these lentil burgers. I think they are the best I have EVER had! Portion control goes out the window when I make these beauties. Maybe that’s not such a good thing, but could be worse. Could be cookies! Try them out and let me know what you think. Also, fill me in on any modifications you may have made.
Adapted from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen
My Favourite Lentil Burgers
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups cooked lentils, well drained
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch (can omit, but burgers may be crumbly)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or wheat-free tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsely
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper
- Mix the chia seeds and warm water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat about 1 tbsp of oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until they begin to brown. Stir in the mushrooms and garlic. Cook until the mushrooms soften (about 2-3 minutes), stirring often.
- In a food processor, pulse Oats until it forms a rough powder.
- When the mushrooms have softened, transfer them to a bowl and add the lentils. Using a potato masher or fork, mash until a thick paste forms. It’s ok to have some full lentils in there. It adds texture. Mix in chia mixture, oats and spices.
- Shape the mixture into patties, each about 3 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick. Place them on the prepared pan and bake for about 20-30 minutes, flipping about half way through. Depending on your oven, you may need to add or remove a few minutes. Just make sure the centre is firm and the edges are not burning.
Serve with sliced avocado, red onion, fresh tomato and vegan mayo. I also serve mine with a side of the following Sweet Potato fries.
Sweet Potato Fries
1 Sweet Potato
Sea Salt to taste
Slice potato into whatever shape you prefer, place on a lined baking sheet and drizzle with oil and paprika. Cook at 400 for about 20-30 minutes depending on desired crispiness. Remove from oven and lightly dust with salt.